WEEK 6 ASSIGNMENTS
Chapter 11 – Training and Development: The Backbone of Motivation and Retention
1.What is the relationship of orientation, training, and staff development to motivation?
2.Identify the specific content of the orientation program for which the department manager
3. Describe in detail your understanding of the differences between “on-the-job training” and
4.Compare and contrast what you see as the relative advantages and disadvantages of
sending employees for educational experiences externally versus providing as much
education as possible in-house.
Chapter 12 – Authority, Leadership, and Supervision
1. Describe the concept of informal authority and state how this differs from formal authority.
2. What is to be gained by including employees in the manager’s decision-making process whenever practical?
3. How can job knowledge or technical expertise be a form of power or authority?
4. What is the principle advantage of mentoring?
5. What is—or should be—the primary purpose of the overwhelming majority of disciplinary processes?
6. What is the essential difference between power and influence?